Saturday 27 April 2013

Amazon Filtering- We're on this Merry-go-Round Again

It seems that every six months or so, Amazon tries something new. They overhaul their algorithms, change tagging... And sometimes they do things they don't tell you about.

You may or may not have heard of their new filters, by now. Certain books (ones now deemed "adult"- peculiarly, not all erotica, only certain segments) are being excluded from the main search, and kept off the general also-bought lists. To get the full search results for what you're looking for you're going to have to click down into the kindle store and search by division.

I don't think anything I've written has been hit by it (or likely will be), but the way Amazon is going about this seems strange, to me. Wouldn't it be easier to have a checkbox to tick on your profile that says "yes, show me everything", or "no, I'm twelve and what is this"?

I wouldn't hold it against them if they wanted to do it that way, but the way they've set themselves up is as the arbiters of what counts as too filthy- and they'll still sell it, they just won't show you.


No comments:

Post a Comment