Saturday 4 May 2013

More! Faster!

I was reading Rachel Aaron's 2K to 10K - if you've never heard of it, it's a book (adapted from the linked blog post) on how to, essentially, write faster.

I always feel like I'm not writing fast enough. Writing, especially these days, is a numbers game. You can't spend two years writing the novel of your dreams (much as I'd like to), you have to get your work out in numbers, make it good, and you have to get it out yesterday.

Her book's helped me out already. (I sound like I'm shilling, here. I'm not! I promise!) All it took was one simple little thing I didn't think to do- I used to shoot for pure word count in a single day, and when I reached it, I'd stop. Now, I start a timer when I start writing (I use toggl, it's free and I couldn't find any other timer that would give me nice graphs for what I did over weeks and months), and I don't stop writing until my time's up.

I'm not writing anything like 10,000 words a day- it's still kind of mind-boggling to me that anyone can manage that- but I'm producing more than before, and I'll count that as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment